One of the most successful of the Luftwaffe fighter units, JG54 ‘Green Heart Warriors’, first came to prominence during the Battle of Britain over south-east England. In early 1941 the unit moved to the Eastern Front, in preparation for the invasion of Russia, and it was in this theatre that they became synonymous both with the relentless struggle against the military might of the Soviets and also, during successive winters, the battle simply to survive the severe weather conditions.
To commemorate the ‘Green Heart Warriors’ Nicolas Trudgian has painted JG54 FW190s in February 1943 taxiing out on to their unit’s snow-blanketed airfield in Krasnogvardeisk, Russia to begin another fighter sweep of the front lines. For the long winter months the aircraft were camouflaged in the livery considered to be one of the most attractive of all Luftwaffe paint schemes; overall white with the distinctive yellow theatre markings. Later, with the Spring thaw, the white was replaced by the unit’s more familiar green paint as they constantly adapted themselves to the ever-changing battlefront conditions.
Major Erich Rudorffer KC, Oakleaves, Swords
Erich Rudorffer downed his first aircraft, a French Hawk75, on May 16th 1940 during the Battle of France. This was the first of an incredible 223 aerial victories achieved over 950 combat missions. Already a Knights Cross holder of r 19 victories in France, Rudorffer flew the BF109E with 2/JG2 ‘Richtofen’ during the Battle of Britain, before moving to the Eastern Front with JG54, the ‘Green Heart Warriors’. Seeing action throughout the war, he was master of the multiple victory, claiming 13 Soviet aircraft in under twenty minutes on Nov 6th 1943. Made Gruppen Kommandeur of 11/JG7, flying the Me262, he scored 12 victories with the jet.
Limited edition of 300 copies
numbered and signed by Erich Rudorffer and the artist
£75.00 + postage and packing
Limited edition of 30 remarques
signed by Erich Rudorffer and the artist
£220.00 + postage and packing
Canvas Giclee edition:
20 stretch canvas replicas of the original painting (18" x 20")